Thursday, September 3, 2009

No coins to decide for me...

- Never Stop Dreaming -

With just 2 days away from the epical hike up Fuji, yes I know I mentioned "Epical" because I am 101% sure I will have trouble hauling those excess blubber around me up this iconic mountain. Not only that I will have to haul up water, camera gear, food, warm clothes, etc. In fact as the day draws closer, I am actually more reluctant than enthusiastic about it. No training prior except some 60 squats exercise on Monday which left my thighs aching till last nite. Not sure if I am able to complete this one...

Threw in some minimal expenses for the hike, a pair of good thick hiking "Made in Japan" socks, O2 tablets, energy gels, ankle support (my ankle is pretty messed up) and an incandescent head torch. Damage was about ¥5,000, some time and gas expanded.

These equipment stare at me in the face urging me to go forth and reach for the sky but on the other hand, the weather forecast and my blubbly condition reckon me to reconsider. In most instances, aka Two Face, a coin would decide on my behalf but not this time. I may be hauling some decent gear there but I am giving myself a choice that is, when the weather doesn't seems favorable to me, I am bailing. No need to feel remorseful since the MAIN REASON I want to do this hike is to catch the sunrise on the top. If I can't do that then I really see no point going for it since it's really not the experience or anything else that I am hoping for.

Still skeptical and undecided but nonetheless, I am hitching a ride to base 5 of Mt Fuji to see the conditions.

Will be carrying only the 24-70, 5D and flash up...no tripod. Will be clad in my Altama Desert Boots (in freezing conditions!), fleece jacket, snowboarding jacket and pants, gloves and a trapper hat. Other space in my backpack will be filled up the essential stuffs to make it to the top, hopefuly.

Brats...what have I got myself into???

No comments: