Friday, September 4, 2009

Army Reservist in Japan

- Never Stop Dreaming -

With the weather reports, live cams and bright sun rays melting the clouds this morning, I guessed I am fated to hike up Mt Fuji. Loaded up almost everything I need into a pack, whisked it up sunggly on my back and boy it felt heavy. Despite removing every other unnecessary weight like key chains, carabiners, small misc items, the pack when fully loaded feels no lighter than a regular Singapore Armed Forces full battle order field pack. The main bulk of the weight are the 1.5 litres of Pocari Sweat, the 1.0 litre of Nalgene water and the Canon 5Dmk2 + EF24-70 + 580EXII. Although the snowboarding Burton Jacket feels a little heavy, these are gonna keep me warm up there in freezing temperatures.

I walked a little around my humble mountain shack with only the pack...not too sure if I can really haul this "fridge" up Fuji. I wasn't even clad in climbing gear...Seriously I wasn't the least excited about this hike, I even felt like abandoning it. But as soon as the beautiful rays of the morning sun filtered thru the reverse grey sea and weather reports screaming fine weather, the enthusiasm kicked in and I felt a surge in my adrenalin. Still the weight of the pack felt wrong but at least mentally I was a tiny bit happy about it. Kept telling myself that the water will get depleted along the way to keep me hydrated so it will be alright.

I really hate the army daze back in SG and one of the reason why I am here in Jpn was to escape the reservist since I had already gave up some precious youth to the gah men. So right now I am just your regular couch potato, blubber throbbing over-weight bloke feasting off more food. I am just totally unprepared for this hike and putting everything together seems like I am actually doing the army reservist here in Japan and much worse, up Fuji in thin oxygen.

Looking back I had made it up Asama some 2 years ago without any prior training only to find myself struggling at the last hundred metres taking baby steps. Body ached and felt like everything was falling apart after the hike and recuperated for 2 full weeks! This one at Fuji...would probably be a killer as compared to Asama but now I really really want to do it. So be prepared for my curses and swears after the hike...

P.S. I have a wish and that is to pick up some managable pieces of rocks at the summit (that is if I do make it) as souvenirs for myself and others who I supposed will never make it up to Fuji.

God Bless and God Speed

2 comments:

Unmasked said...

Good to hear you're keeping fit, my Tofu brother!

I have 1 month Advance Intel Course for reservist. Sad right?

I'm envious of you. ha

小郎 said...

Seriously, it wasn't really that fantastic...appreciating Fuji from lower elevations were much better. But you might spin a different tale if you do hike it someday...

P.S. I am still soft like tofu and those blubber, they are still there!