Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sony PSP x GPS x Maplus 2

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Being a consumer and for the benefit of many around me, I feel that each time I discover something worthy of interest, I should take the initiative to do a first impression review if I have the chance. Afterall, as long as I do not survive off wild berries and hunt my own game, this should be fine.

Ok GPS seems a little far fetched in Singapore sometime ago but as new roads pop up, more ERP gantries and more cars, the use of a navigation system seems to help ease travelling time and avoid the gantries rather than actually navigate from place to place.

Alrite alrite, I can hear people screaming "Get to the point!".

I seriously think everyone should be armed with a SONY PSP because it does JUST the following things -

1. Allows you to play your favourite games.
2. Allows you to watch your favourite TV shows or movies.
3. Allows you to listen to your favourite tunes.
4. Connects to the internet.
5. Allows you to chat via skype.
6. Allows you to use it like a backup external memory device.
7. Double up as a outdoor lighting device.
8. Allows you to take pictures via an external camera.
9. Has translation software so there will never be a language barrier.
10. Comes in wonderful colors.
11. Connects to your monstrous LCD TV.
12. Connects to your PS3.
13. Allows you to exercise your fingers.
14. Relieve stress.
15. Allows GPS navigation and tracking..

And I shall skip 1 ~ 14 because I am only touching on No. 15 today. Oh before I forget...Sony will be phasing out the PSP 2000 (Slim & Lite) to make way for the new PSP 3000. Aesthetically wise, the most notable differences are the redesign of the "Home Button" and the metallic ring on the UMD cover.


Read PSPFANBOY's article for the complete story. So if you have to go get yourself a Slim before it retires into the Hall of Fame.

The GPS unit (PSP 290) is probably the cheapest GPS unit around and I got my for only ¥5400. Though this nifty little device is an Official Sony Product, nonetheless as we all know it, it is "Proudly" made in China. Skepticism aside, this thing actually works pretty well. But please note that the GPS will not work by itself when you plug it into the PSP. You will need the necessary software to work it which is to say that the PSP does not detect it when you plug it in. The GPS unit actually comes with a plastic carrier probably because most PSP carrying case cannot accomodate the PSP with the GPS attached.


The GPS unit can be folded behind the PSP or positioned upright. Does not matter which way it is positioned because both still works.

So what's the point of the GPS without the map...? Here we go...
The current software are almost all in Japanese but there are other 3rd party software like Denisuka's MapThis which actually uses Google Maps. I have not used this but I heard this is probably the best Non-Japanese navigation available for the PSP.

These are the Japanese GPS mapping software (Links are in Japanese) that I know.

1. MAPLUS PORTABLE NAVI
2. MAPLUS 2 PORTABLE NAVI
3. PRO ATLAS TRAVEL GUIDE
4. MINNA NO CHIZU 2
5. MINNA NO CHIZU 3

I have not tried the rest but I am currently using Maplus 2. No.1 to No. 3 are by Edia while No. 4 and No. 5 are by Zenrin. From the various sources that I have gathered, it seems the most built in GPS system in the Japanese Domestic cars are by Edia so I decided to give their PSP mapping system a shot.

The maps are labeled in Japanese with different contrasts to choose from.



The top left icons are (From left), Compass, GPS status and Time. Compass and Time are self explanatory and here are the GPS status that I have encountered.

1. Big red "X" - Not working I presumed
2. Orange NG - Unable to measure or no signal
3. 2D - 2D mapping enabled
3. 3D - 3D mapping enabled
4. OK - Working I presumed

Upon pressing the "Select" button, the view will be converted into portrait instead of landscape.


While there are indepth settings to tweak, I have not yet been able to experience them so I shall leave that out.

So far I am only able to figure out how to set my Home and from there key in the location I want to go either by address or by manual map navigation. The points that I wish to pass and then Viola, the software will search the most appropriate path to take. PRESS THE X BUTTON TO LOCK ON AND TRACK. Then comes the Japanese voice over that tells me "700 metres ahead take a right", "1.4 km to the Goal", "Approaching Goal, slow down", "Turn Right at the next traffic light" and other usual narrative information. Of course if you have a fad to be scolded or teased, you can always pay an extra ¥880 to download customized voice over like those sweet Master-Slave in animes or harsh bellow tone like Solid Snake in MGS4. Check out the samples HERE

When approaching the necessary junctions, slip roads, etc the map will be sub-divided into a split screen that shows either close ups,


Sign boards,


Or 3D visuals if available.


On the bottom left there is a white bar with blue indicators to represent the distance from the starting point to the goal. Below the indicator is the distance in numeric interpretations, time and the word GOAL. On the bottom right shows the Longitude and Latitude, how much the zoom and the scale of the map. On the top right shows the indicated direction to take with the distance below. The big red "G" is simply the destination.



There are also other filters and recommendations available like Onsens, restaurants, cool spots, temples, etc,


And customizable folders to store all your records.



In summary, this is one of the best GPS navigation set up I have seen and boy does it weave magic that is of course if you have a decent understanding of Japanese. No more getting lost around Tokyo or Nagano, no more flimsy paper maps and no more excuses. The PSP x GPS x Maplus 2 is all that you ever need if you want to navigate Japan.

5 stars outta 5 for this.

2 comments:

Cyrian said...

Is there any way to get some sort of GPS software working on my PSP 3000? I bought a GPS unit today, but I have no UMD, and the 3000 is unhackable so any cso I do download is worthless.

Ideas? Suggestions? Any way to buy Maplus2 in an English-speaking-friendly manner?

小郎 said...

Hey Cyrian,

As far as I am concern I will not promote any forms of hacking here for certain reasons but you can always get the latest updates from QJnet which apparently have information on a cracked PSP3000.

Anyway, these mapping software are exclusive for Japan only (because they only have Japanese maps) and from what I know it will not be release in English.

Again you can try Google for open PSP mapping utilities. There are quite a few English ones.