Sunday, September 21, 2008

My Gucci Slippers

- Never Stop Dreaming -

On Monday, the 15th day of the 9th month in the year 2008. I was invited to an event uberknownst to me, was a rather grand affair. Maybe it was my inadequate knowledge of the Japanese language or was it simply the messenger who conferred me a high mastery of Japanese. What ever the case maybe I was totally unprepared and I graced the event literally in my local Singapore gear, slippers!

You see, I am an affiliate of the religion Tenrikyo and so having devoid of the comforts from home, I found myself seeking a little spiritual enhancement in my little town under the guidance of Tenrikyo. It was then I met Mr Kobayashi and his family.


Mr Kobayashi in the picture with his wife looked worn with time but his stoic demeanor and the benevolent smile from his wife seems to paint a rather beautiful story of their lives. This event was to commemorate the great man...

I was invited to grace this event by Mr Kobayashi thru his son, as the messenger. To which I have to admit, I was totally clueless about what was going on...I agreed on grounds that I had great respect for this man. In my mind, I wasn't thinking about anything since this was the first time I was actually invited to such an event and that I had no prior references. It was a hot Monday which also happened to be a public holiday in Japan (Respect for the Aged day). It was held in the late morning so I thought I would go out after that. Wrapped myself in a black shirt, jeans and yeah, black slippers.

On reaching the place, I was a little hesitant to attend since everyone else in the lobby area were in their smartest Armani suits. Hmmm...sensing a wardrobe malfunction, my attempts to flee were intercepted by the lack of time and in I go, ushered by none other than Mr Kobayashi's son. I could see his gracious politeness when his attempt to peep at my slippers were so discreet and it was by sheer chance that I had actually caught him peeking.

In the reception area, Mr Kobayashi's son told the receptionist that my admission was free...I was beginning to wonder how far my dignity were to be stretched. I signed my name in Chinese kanjis and was walking into the moment of truth behind those huge doors.

Tables and tables of distinguished veteran guests in full suits...I was one of the few (probably 5) young adults in this grand ballroom set for a banquet of some sort of commemorative event. As the numerous eyes honed in on me like an eagle, I knew my slippers were stealing more attention than my beautiful face. Quietly, I sat down and smile at all the guest politely to appease their inquisitive mind questioning how the hell is this young, undress punk related to Mr Kobayashi.

After the long speeches of Japanese formalities, I was being introduced formally to the guest on my table where on my left was a approachable young man about my age and to my right was another bearded young man around my age. The 2 other middle aged men across me had that confidence usually dissipated by men holding important positions in a large corporation. It turned out that being introduced as a foreigner was much a big deal that instantly invoked invulnerability to all around me. No one even bothered about my strange dress sense and slowly I was busily holding decent English conversations with the 2 brothers on my left and my right, their dad who was a professor at some university and their mum.

Splendid sushi platters, zaru sobas, beef in sauce, and everything else that had already been digested and forgotten...I shall come back to the event, ha! The event was held to honor Mr Kobayashi's dedication to the people of this little town. It's like a long service commitment recognized by the Japanese Emperor and that earned Mr Kobayashi a huge plaque. Not those mediocre pewter one the Singapore Police gives for catching thieves.


This one is the real deal I am talking about where you get invited into the Imperial Palace to be personally received by the Emperor himself, eat with him and his family and then he, the EMPEROR, will hand you the plaque. If I am not mistaken it is called "The Order of the Sacred Treasure" which spans different level which I am not sure which one Mr Kobayashi got. Anyway here is more close up shots of the plaque...




Ok, there you have it...me, the much unknown punk in slippers turned out to be in Mr Kobayashi's good books and after the event, I was pretty sure everyone took me a little more seriously as Mr Kobayashi was definitely like watching out for me. In other words, I have befriended a significant figure in my little town.

No comments: