Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Damn cycle of luck...screw you!

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Last week, I was off to a blast and everything was rocking smooth. I saw a shooting star on Friday night, received a much awaited call before leaving for Tokyo on Saturday, picked up a decent copy of the lens I wanted, got introduced to a mystery girl which I have not idea how she looked like or do for a living, crashed a Halloween party, met a cool dude of Native American ancestry, met my SG friend in Tokyo, went to the Tokyo Motor Show and only to come back home in snowing conditions. To top it all off, I successfully developed my first ever roll of film last night in freezing conditions.

Damn the cycle of luck which clearly disappoints from here forth. My wisdom tooth began to give me shits, my friend showing signs of the undesirable and highly contagious PRCs attitude and God knows what else may come.

First, let's elaborate on the call...I have been here for almost 3 years and I am pretty bored of my super ideal job. In other words, I want to move on to other fields of profession, a wedding photographer of course. This call came from the Director of the photography department of one of the largest conglomate of one of the oldest names in Japanese hotel resort. I was set for an interview after pulling some strings from an insider job. Went for the interview yesterday and found that the famous sacred stone church was part of this conglomate.

The Director was a really laid back gentleman with 9 years in the current position. The interview was more of a friendly conversation with an rough introduction of the compound which the insides of the sacred stone church stole my soul. He was impressed with my portfolio, attitude, presentation and mentality and commended me on various occasions. Sadly I could only take all these with a pinch of salt since I barely know him. If all goes well, I might be able to join one of the most prestigous company in Japan with a high chance to meet both Japanese and International celebrities and yes I am grinning evily. I am also pretty confident that there will be intense competition for this position but I am not taking anything lightly. Indeed I am really looking forward to this position which will decide my future from 2010 and beyond.

Next I shall cover this mystery girl whom was introduced by my local contact. She called me, told me she wanted to introduce me this girl and ask me if my details could be forwarded to this mystery girl. Of course I said yes since a new friend found couldn't really be a bad thing. The mystery girl called me while I was shopping for my photography supplies and the entire conversation was simply about photography. We exchanged a couple of mails and that was about it. I am clueless about how she looked like, what she does for a living, etc. which I will find out in due course.

Last night in freezing conditions (4 degrees), I prepared my chemicals, stabilized the temperature, off all the lights and in pitch black darkness, spooled my first and ever roll of 35mm film before coming out into the light. Things like contrast, grains and tones were given careful considerations after months of research done on the net, advices from inspirational photographers and product advice. In my mind were simply thoughts that I would most definitely screw up my first ever attempt since I did not attent any schools, was not govern by tests or exams, was no apprentice to no master, and had absolute freedom to do whatever I wanted.

After the final rinse in the drying agent, it was just the moment of truth that would clear the smog in my head. Upon opening the canister, I saw nothing but plastic grey film with no images. I was disappointed instantly but as I tore open the spool intricately, the images on the frames began to appear and I swore my heart skipped a beat back there. The pure exhilaration of completing such feats marked an epical achievement to my life from here beyond. All I need is a decent scanner after I hung the long strip to dry.

This coming Friday have another major event and a great chance to make new friends, practice photography.

Snow is also slowly creeping in and I am really excited...

No comments: