Thursday, February 18, 2010

Unexpected but I do take it as a compliment

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Yesterday, mid week, went out to dinner supposedly with my benefactor who introduced me the opening to the new job that I eventually got it. The small cosy restaurant was one of the better ones around here since I pretty much know the staffs, owner and his wife.

Then my benefactor brought 2 oher friends along who 1 of them I knew. Now I was planted in such a setting that I was the only male amongst 3 females who will be my co-workers in April. Not a bad start since I already know 2 of them and probably a 3rd one by the end of the night. Wacky as usual, we broke into the uncanny conversations littered with weird Japanese and English which often ended with laughters. While the entire stint was going on, I could hear my inner thoughts giving an assurance of approval even before I actually start working in Apr...I was beginning to like every second and every advancement into the future pertaining to my new job, new friends and new environment.

Thru the conversations, I learned that my immediate Boss, the very same guy who hired me had a huge impression of me since the very first interview that I went. Somehow it was like he was already determined to hire me after the first meeting but just wanted to confirm my personality as to whether I was outgoing and able to handle "people" situations. Much to my astonishment, the very first impression that became my truimph card was my appearence. Yeah the one with the goatee and messed up hairdo...because these girls here were telling me that "The Boss" went around telling everyone how "cute" I was and it would be a great addition to the company specifically his photography department.

Immediately 2 questions popped into my head...1. Presentable gentlemen or young gentlemen are not present in the current work place. 2. "The Boss" was gay. But on further probing, well I can put the second question down since "The Boss" was a married man. So investigating further on the 1st question, why was my appearence taken into consideration on the 1st interview? Though no valid answers supported with facts surfaced by the end of the night, I kinda concluded after having a slight "tour" of the compounds, abruptly meeting the rest of the potential crew during my 1st interview, that looks or rather appearence was of paramount importance in a service oriented industry where high net worth figures would stroll in from the neighbouring areas. Besides, if I do get hired, I would probably be the 1st foreigner, tri-lingual photographer who can pull of in the fashion department as well as being blessed (Thks Mummy and Daddy) with presentable appearence. And that was definitely how I saw it but apparently my name had began to spread within the new place of employment and everyone seems to want to catch a glimpse of me and possibly evaluate how "cute" I was against The Boss's allegations. I forsee a long hard road ahead to keep up with these impressions.

In my almost 1.5 decades of existence, I had never once looked at myself in the mirror and say, "Oh boy, what a beautiful face you have." Looking at the aged photos, I realised that my appearence had indeed changed from a fat pugsy outcast, to someone who could blend into fake fascade environment. Though it might sound weird but it seemed that since the day I decided to be a devoted advocate to the Japanese fellowship, my style and appearence did evolve according to my mentality. Some credit did went to my ex Japanese GF without a doubt to boost my confidence in the style department to fit into where I had wanted to be. Since I became a teen, I had always wanted to be different so that I could fit in with the attention I wanted. I wanted attention, I wanted to be different and I wanted to have a following. Though it took a little while before I had a following, everything did pay off in the end. Not bad at all looking back at how far I had come...

Oh on a side note before I forget, my new work place will have a 70 - 30 ratio of young applicable females to guys so hopefully some sparks could start flying since I am not getting any younger and EVERYONE around me seems to propose, get married, have kids and I am still here left on the shelf collecting unwanted dust. At least I want a nice set of photos before wrinkles kill my self esteem. Yes I am vain... :p

No comments: