Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A good brand but an even better company

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Arc Teryx was a relatively unknown brand to me not because I was ignorant but simply because I am only experiencing my 3rd and ever winter. Then I found out that their LEAF line was even better. So after massive research on limited resources available on the net, I bit the bullet (tasted pretty bad!) and went ahead to cash out 500 dollars from my account.

The Jacket arrived in good faith and was pretty neat in the overall construction so I decided to put it to the test. Nothing too crazy but just simply putting it on and see how it fared in the winter. Greasy smoke stains this jacket pretty bad much worse than regular cotton clothes and airing it for days simply would not work. So into the washine machine it went to rid the stench. Unfortunately, this supposedly "tough", "durable" jacket took the first casualty status in my entire collection of outer shells. Somehow cheaper jackets lasted 3 years before signs of severe wear could be found and this new 500 dollars jacket, *sigh* failed in less than a week.

Somehow a single thread, a nylon got hooked, entangled or God knows how while in the washing machine. And this nylon was not from the seams but off the face of the Gore Tex fabric, the MI270 to be exact which was supposed to be abrasion proof. Questionable, definitely about the "durable", "abrasion proof!" part as seen in the picture...


So I corresponded with the company which I had bought the jacket, US ELITE GEAR, as to what options do I have to make this jacket work. They advised me not to repair the jacket and sent them the pictures for accessment. Apparently, from what they told me, Arc Teryx LEAF do not have an exchange policy for jackets which are washed. I waited for almost 2 weeks and the staffs at US Elite Gear still did not have any answers from Arc Teryx. Then one of the top representative of US Elite Gear decided to take this matter into his own hands and offered me an exchange.

I was definitely a very happy customer since the way this situation was being handled was in every way to make a customer satisfied. Though there were other stores out there offering the very same jacket at a much lower price, I was glad I bought it from US Elite Gear since their after sales service was very very good.

I would seriously recommend getting high end military spec gear from them since their shipping is very fast and their committed effort in helping me resolve this issue was one of the best I had ever experienced. Sadly such customer oriented service would be more like a myth in good o' SG where the PRCs have overrun the years of uneffective "courtesy" and social graciousness campaigns. Thumbs up for US ELITE GEAR...

No comments: