Saturday, October 3, 2009

The second revelation

- Never Stop Dreaming -

It's been raining for a while now, in fact it's been raining for almost 3 days in a row. Usually and on most occasions, I would love this kinda of weather but for today, it will be a different tale. The reasons or rather reason is simple and that is I am not willing to subject my baby 5Dmk2 to the rain. Today a very important event awaits me to grace and to document it is equally important. Though I wouldn't ask or pray for the rain to stop, in my head I can only wish for it to pause for a while when I need to use my camera.

Another one of my co-worker ends her solitary life today and I am invited. This spells another chance for me to polish my composition, perspective and knowledge. I have no backup to assist me, just me, the 5D and the 35L. On this Saturday, 3rd of October, I woke up to a rainy morning and hit the cold wet road by 10am. The drive to the venue was a little far, about 80 minutes odd given the weather condition. Picked up one special item from one of the 2 parcels that arrived late yesterday, my new Kangol Furgora Trilby in grey. In case you are curious, the other package contained 1 studio umbrella, 1 umbrella holder and 1 extra umbrella holder. Initially I ordered 2 items only but there was a Autumn sale going on and the company threw in another one for free, THANKS!

Ok, back to the venue...my co-worker is getting married (in case you didn't work out the hints...) in Zenkoji, a World Heritage and National Treasure in Nagano City , Japan. A very very old but prestigious Buddhist temple that rejected to host the Beijing Olympics last year...So this wedding ceremony will be the TRADITIONAL JAPANESE one which I am all in awe for. This will also be my second Japanese Wedding while in Japan. Not too sure what to look out for but I am sure it will be different from Shinto or Tenrikyo ones.

Was trying my luck to find a decent parking space when I reached Zenkoji but in the end, I dropped off my car at a nearby carpark for ¥1,000 that comes with a rather unusual catch. The ¥1,000 wasn't the fee to park the car but rather to purchase at least ¥1,000 of stuffs at a designated shop and I get to park the car for the entire day. Sounded like a really sweet deal since I would not only get to park the car but also pay to get meself something. Probed around a little and I found myself venturing slowly into the right place and met the rest of my co-workers there. Since sacred wedding like this are usually held in places of the highest regards, I was already prepared that photography would be prohibited. True enough photography was prohibited but only during the wedding process. Snapped a couple of pics before and after the wedding procession.

The bride wore a deep rich red and gold un-cut (long sleeves) Kimono decorated with cranes while the groom wore a traditional black garb like a samurai Kimono with striped Hakama (trousers). The Bride is my co-worker and she looked somewhat different. She was impressively beautiful like a page from a history book in all the colorful glory, demeanor and grace of traditional Japanese. This particular scene had always been a typical stereotype for me with respect to Japanese weddings and everything lived up to my expectations. I couldn't keep my eyes of the Bride because the colors and the grace captivated everything else around and I as pretty sure all the other guests would agree with me. The couple walked into the hall that everyone was present and sat in the middle facing an altar of the Great Buddha and other religious decorations. Incenses were present and the hall was mildly scented. The process started as soon as the couple sat with a presumably middle rank abbot conveying instructions. Then the side sliding door moved and an elderly abbot with a different robe walked in. He conducted the wedding ceremony with such ease, it made the rituals and prayers seems so holy and refreshing. From a distance, he blessed 2 pairs of bead bracelet and gave them to the couple, followed by a calligraphy piece consisting of the words, 「一今一朝」before explaining the meaning which loosely translated as from now till forever I think.

Everything was over in an hour odd and now is where all the paparazzi(s) attacked. The main photographer had to proclaimed out loud via his assistant for others to halt before he could actually frame the couple decently. There were a couple of DSLRs and tons of PNS cameras and though I knew the ethics of respecting the paid wedding photographer, I still found myself at times framing away until told to halt. The Bride was just too good to miss out so...you get the picture. The newly wed couple took a nice stroll down the main street from the front of Zenkoji. As more throngs of other visitors filled the streets, they too couldn't stop themselves from framing this beautiful couple. Because I presumed, such amazing weddings might not be rare but every chance to see it is worth capturing it even though you might not know the couple personally. A wedding is a blissful unison of 2 lovely people and to share a bit of their over-flowing and over-whelming joy is more than welcome.

Though I was not invited to the afternoon reception, I took my humble leave after receiving multiple praises from my vice-principal who was also an avid photographer for my shots. I humbly accepted his generosity verbally while silently crediting my baby 5D and the 35L companion. In the afternoon, I took a nice stroll thru the main Nagano City, grabbed a burger of the famous yellow M, visited the bookstore before settling in this Starbucks as I began to pen all these. There is the second party tonight at 1830 hours which I will soon depart to attend.

Enjoy your Saturday...

No comments: