Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Destiny in a white envelope

- Never Stop Dreaming -

A while ago, I did some demo class and because of some screw ups, I actually did 2 on the same day back to back with only 15 minutes grace between them. Surprisingly to many other Japanese and English teachers and distinguished guests who came that day, most marveled and were impressed by the classess. Even the most respected professor commented that that was probably the best demo class he has ever seen. I really beg to differ since my views were completely different.

Honestly, I felt that it was pretty much like a regular class except with a little more content. There were no rehearsal before hand and that the class went on like a usual class. The fact that many people were surprised was that the English level of the students were in fact far greater than the those of other schools. And now many others want to replicate the demo class.

So here's the real deal.

It takes years and crucial bonding with the students to get to such a level. Jumping straight into it would be a definite failure from the start. Demo class are meant to be a learning experience so replicating it a 100% is ridiculous. One have to digest a good influence, understand it completely and then tailor it to suit the specific needs of their own class. Throwing back 100% to the students without understanding the concept and the gist of an otherwise great demo class is clearly an insult to the class itself. Everyone is different so specially tailored classes are the only way to yield results. Yes, being impressed and wanting to do like wise is a healthy step forward but crucial planning is equally essential as well to incorporate the essence than blindly copying.

Sadly, I have since lost a relatively huge chunk of that once vibrant teaching spirit. I have seen and experience enough to conclude that only those willing to improve will. Each time a rebellious or defiant kid wrecks havoc, each time an introvert, unpopular kid rejects the lessons, the Japanese teachers will feed me with reasons like "Oh, he has family problems...", "Oh, her parents are divorce...", "Oh he has some mental problems..." which of course are all valid reasons. I do not wish to know and have absolutely no interest or whatsoever in these reasons and I really do not give a damn. I want to know what can be done, I want to know a solution and I want to know how can things change. Knowing these valid but redundant reasons not only waste my precious time, nothing's gonna change anyway. If there are indeed problems, go seek proper medical attention or consult a psychiatrist which I am none of the above.

Japanese teachers are either too soft and give too many reaons to get crucial things done or too extreme and let their fists do most reasoning. Either way are equally bad to kids who are maturing from 6 to 12. This crucial period will determine their aggression when they hit adolescence years. Besides that, they have no incentive to study since all the kids graduate whether they pass or fail the tests. I tried but in the end, like MJ, I have to throw in the white towel and say, "This is it!". I am most willing to forsake the numerous holidays, decent paycheck to pitch my wares elsewhere where there are more meaningful reasons to continue a job. In private English schools, people pay good money because they really want to learn whereas in public schools, I have to entertain those who really want to learn/study and those who are just there to waste their youth, time, energy and be a nusiance to the rest.

Even as a wedding photographer, I see myself rendering a service to one of the oldest rituals in the passage of lives to preserve the unison of a couple into eternity. Indeed meaningful but not as noble as saving lives like a doctor yet still much better than donning a clown suit and entertaining pesky kids. I do love kids and would really want to impart to them a skill which have been lacking in many of their species but the environment and the system is stubborn, unforgiving and laughable.

With that, I put together my most decent set of pictures into a disc, together with my resume I sent them in a white envelope to an unknown address in Tokyo. The contents in the envelope is my destiny which I can only pray and hope for the best for now. 2010 is a brand new start for me and hopefully I can have a brand new direction to advance...

No comments: