Thursday, July 16, 2009

Japanese...

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Over the short span of about 2 years here in this relatively unknown valley, I have witness quite a number of extraordinary events that are quite intruiging. From massive "live" volcanos, mountain ranges to sacred valleys and castles. This place has some of the most rustic Japan to offer if you think Japan was all about Tokyo or Osaka or Kyoto.

But all that nature and landscape aside...it's the local people, kids and folks here that I find to be the most memorable. Kids here were taught since young to follow rules and boy do they REALLY follow them that is until they are old enuff to think for themselves and go rogue. Take for example a simple card game with the cards faced down on a board, each card had a hand scribbled point which was clearly visible on the back of the card. Well you can literally cheat if you want but that would take the fun outta the game...

I didn't say anything to these kids, didn't give specific rules not to cheat but they took the initiative to cover their eyes and pick the cards randomly when playing with their friends. This really amazed me since such situation will NEVER be possible in SG. Probing further, I found out that here in this part of rural Japan where competition is not as intense as in Tokyo or SG, the parents teach the kids that when they find even a measely 10 yen on the road, they are NOT allowed to pocket it but to give it to the nearest Police Post. And yes these kids really do that...I have seen it.

While given Japan's technological advancement, kids here still go out and play in the sand, run in the sun and get all dirty. They immerse themselves in the wild and little girls go running after dragonflies and catch them. Bugs, beetles, insects for once are not considered scary and mashed on sight. They are in fact loved by most kids who would catch them in the wild and keep them as pets. Of course only beetles are kept as pets while the rest are simply play things. I would see a kid in SG scream at the sight of a dragonfly and "shoe" any other creepy crawlies at sight. Though I am not a huge fan of bugs and insects, such scenes are really good for a change. The only thing that might be a little less fortunate are that they are not that computer-inclined.

Then it really comes to a point where I believe that every child when born is innocent. It's simply THE environment that they grow up in that makes them Hitler or Pope. I do believe that the inborn trait of a child itself may be even neligible in contributing to the goodness or evilness of the child. When I say the environment, I refer to the place, family, association, contacts, life-style in general and does not point to s specific factor since ALL these factors will ultimately mold the child.

Kids aside, at my work place...almost everyone sits on chairs with rollers. So from the young to the old, once in a while they fall from their chairs because the chair slipped away from their asses for no apparently reason. No foul play here but simply the USER's error I believe. Each time I swore I tried really really hard not to laugh out loud but it's really really funny to see them fall. It's almost like watching those Japanese Prank TV shows live...

Anyway Summer is finally here since the humidity and heat is similiar to SG. I really dread such season after experiencing white white winter. But still it's better than SG since in Summer, the skies will be in rich deep ocean blue void of any traces of fluffy clouds. The visible mountain ranges with more mountain ranges behind disappearing into the far horizon on a clear day is really good for photos. Blue skies and green fields, just lacking the floral shirt, straw hat, a cup of lemonade and a beach.

Hachi more days and I will be able to bathe myself in Ben and Jerry's, soak myself in Movenpick, cover meself in Long John Silver's, Nasi Goreng Ayam, Wonton Mee, Bak Chor Mee...

No comments: