Friday, June 26, 2009

Moonwalker, trailing the faded memories...

- Never Stop Dreaming -

This morning, I came to work as usual only to find myself in utter shocked that Legendary King of Pop, Michael Jackson has died. When an iconic public figure goes away, there will no doubt be speculations on how and why but be it the truth or simply rumors, I think it's better to leave it all behind and give the man some decent respect. I am sure I do not need to go thru the bizarre profile of MJ since Wiki has almost every. A silent and eternal tribute to him in my cyber world is all that I ask for.

I remember listening to his songs when I was like a chikd on casette tapes when MTVs weren't even heard of. Had the Dangerous album on casette and while digging thru my families' music, I found the Bad album. In fact, I think every adult and kid in the neighbourhood knew MJ and we all grew up on a healthy dosage of his songs. These songs would flood the radio air waves late in the evenings around 8 to 9 and sometimes when riding in the backseat of Daddy's car coming home from Grandpa's or Ma Ma's place, I would fall asleep. MJ's songs were indeed part of my growing up experience...when I was in Primary 6, I could still vividly remember rapping to his tunes especially in Black and White and Jam. The scene of MJ and Michael Jordan in one of his MVs was so impactful that I can remembered it even now more than 10 years later. All was already good but after watching his first movie with the weird bunny, I think his influence on me was as impactful as Elvis on some older folks. Moonwalks, the infamous LEAN in Smooth Criminal were all so original and though I hate to confess, I was one of those pugly kids trying to imitate it.

When my Dad gave the Dangerous album to one of his Indian biz partners, I remembered my elder brother fumming up pretty badly. Some how MJ was pretty influential to most of us. However as the years go by, different genres of music began to flood the local air waves and my brother introduced me to punk, punk rock, ska, etc...MJ's stuffs kinda faded like history...When he launched his HIStory album, I was already a distance from his music not because he was fading away but I had too many choices.
Looking back now, I still prefer his older songs than the new ones and now might just be the time to dig up some music for the memories as a tribute to one of the most iconic legends of my time.

One of my friend was pestering me a while ago to go with her to see MJ's last performance in London this summer but I gave her the cold shoulder since I wasn't a huge fan now. I bet she and many zillions around the world would be weeping for the lost of MJ. Not sure if it's pure coincidence but Hot Toys, a superb toy maker from Hong Kong had previously release a uber realistic 12 inch figure of MJ draped in his famous Dangerous outfit. White T-shirt, gloves and socks with glittery black fedora, pants, jacket and shoes. Go grab this one last memorabilia before it's gone to remember the man who change the world, the King of Pop, Michael Jackson...

P.S. You will always be remembered as one of the greatest Legend of all time.

No comments: