Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Final Finishing Move To Seal My Fate

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Had a fantastic party yesterday night held at a friend's restaurant but reached home late into the night only to find myself struggling to wake up. The weather was good this morning, overcast think grey clouds shrouded the entire sky, cold and smelling like winter...I really wonder why should anyone skip such weather to go to work. Well we are afterall slaves for the very society we have created so be gone my dear sleep and off to work I go.

Reached my work place and started off the morning with my usual shot of coffee and dose of internet. The first piece of news that hit me almost threw me off my seat simply because with this news, my fate is permernantly sealed!

A while back I was really contemplating whether to upgrade my 2 year old camera to the INSANELY amazing Canon 5DMk2 which had revolutionalize the industry since it's debut sometime back in 2008. The new 5DMk2 was and is the 1st full frame camera to offer High Definition video recording on a regular DSLR. Since it's inception, many photographers, videographers and independant film makers are all flocking to this epical camera simply because of it's video capabilities. However the main set back that everyone was facing and whining about was the lack of a full manual control over the various settings like aperture, shutter speed and ISO that otherwise puts this camera on par with regular video recorders. When you pay that much for a camera, one would expect to fully utilise the manual features and I was indifferent as well.

I have been trailing the news about manual controls for this camera and I was counting my limited pieces of yen every now and then to budget for it but inside a certain corner of my head, I was pretty concern about the limitations highlighted above. So I did of course dig the internet for feasible solutions but most involve partially dismounting the lens or using lens from a different company with converters. Both the options available will work with regards to the video capabilities of the 5DMk2 but each options had it's own limitations as well. For example partially dismounting the lens will risk the lens smashing into nano fractions if it does slip of the camera mount while using lens of a different brand will mean that I have to forgo my current lens set up and start amassing other lens. Besides that I simply have no other complains besides the slower burst shooting speed which I have no use for and the weight of the camera. In fact I was really drawn into this new 5DMk2 solely for the video functions.

Months and months of contemplation, read-ups and work-arounds when a couple of weeks back, finally someone online hacked the firmware and release a custom firmware for the sound but still nothing available for the manual video control. Today with this news release by Canon, there is no other reason why I wouldn't want to get this camera. Damn...I am so intrigued by this right now that I can't shake the image of playing with the video functions off my head. It's currently the No. 1 item on my wishlist and I mean I really don't mind eating cup noodles just to be a slave to my camera.

Thank You Canon for listening and thank God for the amazing engineers here in Japan for releasing this firmware. Finally thank everything else that I chose Canon and not any other brand!

No comments: