Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Wedding of My Dreams - Akira and Masayo

- Never Stop Dreaming -

While I have absolutely no idea how many people are following this humble fellowship of Japan, I am sure there are a handful of advocates hungering for details with regards to this Grandeur Unison of 2 lovely people under the Eyes of Tenrikyo. The matrimony of Akira and Masayo.

The name Masayo seems a little impolite and new for me simply because I am so used to the title Okada Sensei. Masayo was my Japanese teacher in Singapore for about 2 years and though many people find her teaching pace and style a little too slow and dedicated to individual students, I found out that she was more than that because that was simply her. This patient and dedicated effort were simply everything that she was, am and will be because I have slowly come to know Masayo more as a friend than a teacher and indeed she had preserved the demure and subtle side of the Japanese ladies from generations ago. The beautiful teachings of the religion only accentuate her fine composure.

Akira used to stop by Singapore to visit Masayo and at times, we would chill at some random watering holes in town. It was thru the Oyasato tour that I got to know him personally and we kind became great pals from then. When this lovely couple visited Singapore on vacation, I took the honor to set them up properly and when I came to Japan, again I invaded their prime time to catch up on those fleeting moments. So with Akira leaking news about the wedding to me some 2 years ago, every day I have been living in anticipation of this wedding until finally with just a couple of hours to go before departing on the epical journey, I hustled everything I needed...15 kg worth of gear!

Took leave of Friday months before and departed on a Thursday night via highway buses (cheapest but slowest option) from Nagano to Tokyo and then from Tokyo to Kyoto. The only torture that I had to subject myself was to amass weapons of mass destruction before my departure. Antiseptic, masks, Vit C lozenges, surgical alcohol, etc all in the name of destroying the H1N1 Swine Flu before they infect me. So far only Osaka, Hyogo and Tokyo are affected so I ain't taking chances to reserve myself a space in the local hospital with huge bold "I'M A PIG CARRIER!" splashed on my forehead in red. TSK TSK TSK!

Ok ok...don't stray don't stray! Reached Tokyo around 1800 hours and had ample to time to burn since my bus departs from Shinjuku at 2100 hours. Clad in authentic Black Chinese Shirt with horizontal embroided buttons and white fold-up cuffs, I swore I attracted a decent number of stares not because of the mask slapped across my face. Went shopping for camera gear, had dinner with a friend and then I hit the long road down south. The bus journey wasn't the most comfortable so zombied thru till Friday morning with an aching neck and shoulder. Took the train from Kyoto at 0700, made a couple of mistakes and ended up in Tenri at 0845 hours. Took a cab to the Main Hall only to find out that the wedding starts at 1045 hours.

Along with a few other full suited guests arriving later, we all waited until finally in a distance a tiny couple emerged from the steps leading to the Main Hall. Camera was already hung around my neck ready to secure the target! Moving in closer Akira and Masayo were thrilled to see me because I was the only rebellious student who never seems to do any homework or past any tests decently to grace this spectacular event. But they continued walking forth because there was a filming crew in the back. Followed them around the surrounding sacred gravel grounds only to find out that there were a few other assistants trailing along. 2 make-up artists, 3 camera crew and less than 20 distinguished guests (including me) were present. Had a slight photography session in the inner sanctuary's garden with the main photographer using 35mm Mamiya cameras firing away followed by 2 DSLRs and a handful of compact point-and-shoots. Changed a couple of locations and poses and then everyone was headed into the Main Hall and all these while Masayo greeted everyone present with the loveliest smile and demure and Akira charmed everyone with his stoic boyish demeanor. While going up the steps, Akira stretched out his palm to hold Masayo's hand as he helped her thru her tiny Kimono Steps, and that scene etched a eternal spot permanently in heart.

Once inside the Main Hall, no photography was allowed so my narration is probably the best you would get but I leave it to your imagination. Led by a Grand Priest everyone moved into the Main Hall and sat respectively behind either Masayo or Akira depending on how we were affiliated to them. Not sure about their true identities but I presumed the senior couples immediately behind Akira and Masayo were their parents (confirmed to be so later) which were then followed by brothers, sisters, cousins, nieces and nephews and then finally friends. The Grand Priest spoke about the wedding like the a western Pastor except it was governed by Tenrikyo's teachings. After about 20 minutes later, everyone moved to the inner sanctuary where we were separated by a low wooden barrier to witness the Sacred Wedding Process. The set up inside this 2 connecting rooms resembled everything you would see in Watten Estate except maybe 10 times bigger, dimmer, more sacred, more closely guarded and more aged. The main priest led the couple in to the inner room and they knelled like a typical Japanese for a long time. 2 female staffs served sake and other items to the couple who were seen only from their back. A dedicated photographer took as little pictures as possible so as to respect and not disrupt the wedding process. Everything was done with such intensity and yet it preserved such serenity that sets the entire sacred wedding process apart from the usual loud happy ones. Beautiful like a work of art, lucid like the flow of the river and calm like a sleeping baby, they were recognized as man and wife before the almighty God in silence watched by many curious eyes.

Once that was over, everyone then proceeded to the 3 other inner halls to pay respects to the Gods and ancestors before finally ending where we started singing songs of God. There was a huge sign of relieve on Akira's and Masayo's face because the process was almost nearing to an end. Everyone gathered outside the Main Hall for a photography session and then everything was over. Everyone was going back to prepare for the huge party at night in Osaka much like the Chinese Wedding Dinner but Akira and Masayo were not spared of any rest. They were going for the family party first before heading out the 2nd party at night.

While I was a tad bit disappointed because the MAIN reason that I wanted to be here was to capture the Sacred Wedding but the opportunities presented were pretty limited and time definitely wasn't helpful at all. The skies were overcast with thick fluffy clouds with the occasional deep rich blue peering thru. Though pictures were not possible inside the Main Hall (しょうがないね) which can't be helped, the finishing blow was that everything was over in a flash. I wasn't the main photographer so I can't possibly pose them myself. Most of the time I was scraping for left overs like a pathetic vulture among quite a few others as well. It's really up to LR and CS to save the day again (THANK GOD FOR THEM!)

After everyone left I had the entire afternoon to myself since the 2nd party only starts at 1900 hours. Took a little stroll around Tenri City, visited the old places which I have been to and stayed, and also went around finding faces whom I have known. Only managed to find Sasaki Sensei at Tenrikyo Language Institute and so chatted with him for a while. It was funny how I mocked him at why he didn't invite me to his wedding and he gave direct excuses like he was busy and stuffs...TSK TSK TSK.

By late afternoon, I settled for lunch at a small old restaurant inside Hon-Dori only to find myself building up rage. The tiny restaurant was manned by 2 older married folks presumably 60 and above. I wasn't there to discount them or to give them a hard time but to do my growling tummy a favor. The first noodle dish came and the instance it entered my mouth, I was already on the verge of becoming a Merlion. The roach taste was super distinct so after savaging thru the contents, a hairy leg of the roach showed up. Immediately I rejected the dish and ask for a replacement and no I wasn't taking any chances so when the second dish came again, I sieved thru it like a machine and true enoungh the entire roach turned up this time. Well well well what a way to screw up my meals, PUI! Despite my anger, I still paid a fair deal just to pity the older folks who were not the most polite lest remorseful. Whatever since I wasn't gonna let some foul incident spoil the joyous spirit.

Went back to Akira's dorm, took a nice shower, juiced up my camera and then headed to the second party with Shunhei, Akira's good friend, and a whole horde of others.
The party was held at Mitte, a rather small but posh restaurant in Osaka. Almost everyone turned up in a full suit or a full night night dress-to-kill but I had opted for a more subtle white shirt with floral cuffs and collar and straight black jeans. There was a painting of Akira and Masayo near the reception booth and I swore Masayo looked like Audrey Hepburn. Was fiddling with my camera since I chose to bring only the 35L prime and 580EX2 when the main photographer showed up with 2 huge camera equipped with flash guns and menacing lens which killed my ego instantly. Met another 2 fellow Singaporean there who were touring Japan when they decided to grace this wedding as well.

The music rolled and Akira appeared in a smart black suit collecting flowers as he walked thru the path made by people. He reached the stage with enoungh flowers in his hand, hinted a sign of intense pressure thru his eyes and steadfast himself for his beautiful bride. And then Masayo gently entered from the other end of the human path led on by her brother and instantly the shining star of the night stole every single attention. Akira was very tense but delighted because the anticipation from his eyes were reckoning far in the direction of his bride. When Masayo reach the stage, Akira presented her with the flowers he collected and Masayo placed a single flower on his chest pocket. They exchanged rings and then flashed the shiny stones in unison to the audience like stars celebrities.

Somewhere along the party, my name was announced and I had to present myself on the stage along with 2 other ladies. I have absolutely no idea or whatsoever what was going on but I soon found out that I had to do an impromptu open speech to this fabulous couple. It was intense but I can't back down now so I started to fill my vacuum-filled head with messages. "Think Godamit...Think!". Started off with a little Japanese and then gave it a shot at English. But upon seeing half the puzzled-filled faces of the Japanese guests, guessed like I had no choice but to spew out some fiery Japanese. Man that was one of the most crazy impromptu speeches that came out from my mouth and I don't think I can ever rise to such an occasion again.

After the speech, there were a lot of people urging me to proclaim my single status so that I could at least gain the attention of other single ladies but I wasn't that positive that I would even attempt to steal the attention from Akira and Masayo. Then came the hastily prepared video surprise for Masayo which was an idea from Akira, an effort by me and all the SG angels and completed by Shunhei. Weeks prior, Akira approached me and told me he wanted to do a special ChannelNewsAsia report only to be interrupted by well wishes from Singapore from all Masayo's ex students, friends, colleagues, etc. I agreed upon the idea and was bent on making the impossible happen. Seeked help from Gid in SG and then with the efforts of everyone who can't grace this inspiring event, I soon got hold of the collection of the well wishes from Singapore. Sent it to Shunhei who made it into a viewable video at the wedding. Masayo teared when she saw the video which justified every effort that everyone had contributed for her cause. I was just glad that I could do something useful for a friend, a teacher and a wedding.

Like the typical wedding party, it was all party, booze and every attempt to get the poor Groom drunk while the Bride just smile and look on.

This is possibly my first REAL Japanese wedding and possibly the most memorable one till date so Thank You Akira and Masayo for giving me this exellencent opportunity, everyone in SG who were involved in the vid, everyone whom I have met at the party and those reading this as well.

As usual the pictures will be up soon.

P.S. Terri, I tried to recall everything in detail and hope the words doesn't stress out your eyes :p

No comments: