Monday, August 25, 2008

Balls of virtual thunder

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Wow, it seems like there quite a bit of update in just a few hours. Well...I need to be sure I clear these essential bits and pieces of me into a omnipotent virtual world where existence are categorize but binary 0s and 1s and maybe even pixels.

23rd Aug 2008, Saturday night...I was invited to a private MIXI party. To be more specific, it was an outdoor psychedelic trance party. I would not have made it to the party by myself even with a GPS because the path there passes a massive valley of farms and houses shroud in eternal slumber and infinite darkness. Crazy back alleys and narrow bridges...no way I could have even attempt to navigate thru this hell of a Minotaur's Labyrinth. At the end of a 2 cellphone GPS confirmation, I knew the 2 other occupants and the driver in the car was pretty sure I would get there.

So exiting the maze, it was simply mountainous roads...Initial D style up the pitch darkness. Round and round, turns and turns...the road leads to a Y junction and we were forced to make a decision which path to take. On careful inspections, a little A4 paper was plastered onto one of the many signs at the junction. It reads' " Welcome to Aeen" in red. Well we were convinced that THAT would the the right path to ordination until the never ending roads began to look skeptical.

Alas, the sound of the distant Bass thundering from the speakers rekindled our spirit. Way up on top and in the midst of the woods somewhere in the outskirts of a town named Matsushiro where the famous Sanada clan (Yukimura Sanada) used to live was where the party was held. It was pretty much a popular camping ground tucked deep into the forests. Not a single beat was heard until about 500 metres from the actual DJ booth where faint throbing is present.
There...the serenity of the forest was forcefully ripped open by a single dome shape tent on the flat ground. Glowing like an UFO from within, a DJ dish out the tunes behind a thin veil supposely to keep out the bugs like a courtesan teasing coyly. 2 huge speakers on each side of the dome fire some pretty impressive bass into the crowd of about 15 people. Then there was a single campfire surrounded portable chairs to feed warmth. Wasn't really that cold but the cotton like drizzle and the incoming fog might be a little too much for some. Nothing quite like Zouk Out but like I have said, this is a private event.

A little Jack Daniel's to warm me up and then it was the ingenious idea to send sparkles into the campfire. Depositing the unburnt flint via the 10 cent lighter onto my palm, I walked up to the fire, positioned my hands slightly above the fire and started claping. Suddenly there were zillions of little yellow sparks flying thru the air and boy was it a marvelous display of cheap pyrotechnics. Yeah the Japanese girls closed in shouting "すごい”and that 1 minute of instant fame was good enuff. Everyone wanted to learn that "sacred" technique only to realise that I was a non-Japanese. Woooh...boosted my status up 200% and now I am riding on celebrity status.

Alrite then as the night closed in to about 2.30am, I was already resting in the humble tent thanks to my friend. Huge and can probably accomodate at least 7 to 8 people but the eavesdropping scooped up some info that this tent was pretty cheap. Nothing much to worry until the rain crash down at 3 am where leaks were sighted. In pitch darkness, I actually volunteered my precious Ipod Touch as a lamp and suspended it precariously via a rope from the ceiling. Inside the 4 of us plus the late arrival of Mitsu San were savoring supper consisting of hamburgers and riceballs. Sure reminded my of those dreaded field camps in Army Dayz where the coldness of the harsh elements were actually warmed by the bond betweens brother in arms and the little food we had. The rain didn't dampened my spirits the slightest bit and in fact I was glad that it had rained.

Daybreak at about 5 am with the rain still continuing, we were forced to break camp due to cheapo leaking tents. Being armed to the teeth with my snowboarding gear (less the goggles) and weather Timberland boots, the bare elements did no damage to my spirits. Sunggly strapped to my back was none other than the Blackhawk 3 Day Assault pack concealed in a bright yellow rain cover. Seeing how (other) Japanese loved the great outdoors with their over the top tents and RVs, I thanked God Singapore threw me into the pits of Army. These conditions were like nano dust which bring back memories.

Alrite so as the sky began to brighten up, we made our way down the forrest by 8 am. It was then I realised how high this place was. The road was wrapped around this huge ravine which is at least like a thousand metres deep as the road at the bottom of the ravine looked like threads. Going down the mountain easily took 30 odd minutes. Lacking my Canon Kiss, words are the only way to relate the view. The sky was like an intense sea of grey cotton, the green of the forest were partially visible in the dense fog and morning smelled like nothing quite I have experienced. Pure exhilaration and my my what a good way to start the gloomy Sunday.

Linking this post for both days of the weekend, I shall continue with my escapades on Sunday. Took Mitsu's car to Ueda where we had a late breakfast after 1 sleepless night. 1 chocolate and 1 strawberry doughnuts accompanied with a fresh shot of good Kopi were enuff to kick start my Sunday...at least. Touch down at home around 10 am only to snooze till 4 pm where I prepared and headed out for the next event of the weekend.

Fellow designer Komatsu's birthday party was scheduled along with my "welcome back" party at Mitsu's darts bar so the turn out was still imopressive. A cake was made for me and Komatsu with the respective chocolate-made-sign bearing "お帰り" and "おめでと" There was also お好み焼き and drinks were freeflow on the house. Orange juice and no alcohol was my style. Sweet party I would say which lasted will 2.30 am. It was here where さやか planted a sacred seed inside my heart. OoOoOoOohh...

No comments: