Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Microsoft, what more can I say.

- Never Stop Dreaming -

Great that Mr Gates has finally decided to throw in the towel. With Vista looming in the shadows and the exponential increase of Windows related deadly virus, I am sure the new CEO who now hold the reins of the most powerful company in the world would have a pretty good time adjusting to his new corner office, racking his brains.

Yep I have been a Win user for donkey years and was really reluctant to change to other OS, namely Linux, UNIX, and other less virus prone systems. But like evolution, I find myself never looking back since I took the plunge for a change. Currently the 2 main OS eyeing the consumers' pockets at the moment are Apple and Microsoft. But after looking at various options, sources and doing my homework, these are the factors that I considered for the change.

Win -

Run on almost 85% of the world's computers and I am pretty sure I won't see Osama running around with a MacBook Pro. Probably the most exploited OS till date because it's really universal. Supports great piracy until Vista came along and took over as the No. 1 most hated OS. Super unstable and crashes more often than you can count your ex boyfriends or girfriends. By being universal, tons of programs are built on this OS and therefore opens up to a vast choices of after market software. Because of this there are also infinite bugs, virus, worms, etc. Once the "Blue Screen of Death" flashes in your face in the most crucial moments, you can safely hurl this OS out of the window.

Mac OS -

Being derieved from some UNIX ancestry, this is by far one of the most stable software I have used. Straight of the package with absolutely no knowledge prior, I find myself cruising comfortable around the OS for it is relatively simple to use. So far there have been no unnecessary virus updates, or infection so quarantine is not neccessary. This means no extra money spent on Anti Virus programs or irritating scheduled scanning. But the darkside is that being superbly stable and virus free means that there are tons of software that are not compatible with Macs. So you have to find alternatives which are troublesome. People who uses Macs are stereotyped as being selfish (like the OS), self-centred, proud and being a perfectionist. And Macs are overly hyped and clearly excelling in the asethetics department only.

So my verdict after comparing these compelling factors is that...Yep I would still go for the Mac over the Win because the Apples outside the Windows are too good to be appreciated from the inside. So ditch your old windows and go out, talk a walk and pluck those innocent white Apples and savour them. Like me, once you take the plunge you'd never look back.

A point to note is that yep, some Apple users tend to to be a bit snobbish and over the top but the rest are simply humble people who likes to specialize their equipment to bring out the best in Arts, Design and Music. Being perfectionists in their own nature can only yield greater heights so we can all appreciate their marvelous works.

Macs are great for designing and arts like Photoshop, Illustrater, Flash. Macs are great for photography because of the colors they render from their screens. Macs are great for music like DJing and stuffs because running programs like Traktor and Virtual DJ tends to be relatively stable. Macs are great for display because there is nothing even close to it.

But Macs are bad at gaming, tons of MSword, Powerpoint and Excel related operations. You would be better off using the Win.

I am surprised I got so carried away with this insane never ending comparisions that I missed the main point altogether. Alrite...because recently I have been experiencing this unusual "Font" transformation with Microsoft Hotmail (only on Win systems). Everytime I logged in and click on something like Inbox or Junk, the fonts size just bizarrely changes to the biggest or smallest fonts. Occasionally when accessing it from my Mac, a stupid banner will just pop up and blanks the rest of the page. I have to click refresh to get back to the page. The "Magic" font change experience is not available on the Mac by the way. So I was actually intending to flame Microsoft in this entry but the good Mac side of me saved the harsh words to Microsoft.

Thanks Microsoft for never failling to piss people off.
Whatever.

No comments: