Tuesday, May 13, 2008

モーカサメ

- Never Stop Dreaming -

On the road to recovery, to preserve my precious face, taking my skin tone into consideration, I have been presented with a rather stringent and simple fare from various sources. My mum, my aunties, friends, etc. have advised me to refrain from certain food products so that the inevitable scar will be less obvious. But since the damage had already been given a permanent resting place on my face, I can only make it less obvious to console the vanity side of me.

You see I am a perfectionist and imperfections and abominations are not desired much less imprinted on me. *Sigh* I am flabbergasted but I can only credit the whole incident to my own misjudgment.

Ok back to the topic...my simple daily fare include veggies, fruits and cooked fish. Soy, soy related products, beans, bean related products, seafood, fungus, chicken and beef are excluded from my diet. Even sashimi and sushi are not spared so I have to go to the supermarket and grab the various supply of fishes and veggies to cook.

On a constant staple of Salmons, and the other regular fishes, I grew thin on the taste of cooked fish. Then one fine day I chanced upon this weird looking juicy and succulent milky fish steak. The cut were thick slabs of meat like beef or pork but the color was milky with read streaks like veins. Ooooh....it looked really really yummy but I have absolutely no idea what it was as I do not have the tendency to check the species of food that I consume especially if all the fishes here taste so good. Besides it's only a measly ¥158 (SGD$2) for 2 huge slabs of it.



Back home I tossed some oil into the pan, washed the fish and rubbrd some salt and pepper before frying it. The meat was rather springy and not flaky like regular fish meat so I presumed this had to be a huge fish. When it's done I took one enthusiastic bite into it and VIOLA! This is indeed one tasty fish. The portion near the end with the prominent read streaks tasted the best. Can't explain it but it tasted like milky fish eggs (not roe) fused into the meat.

Liked the taste of it so much went ahead to run a check on it. Holy cow...hailing from Miyagi Prefecture, this is the infamous shark steak courtesy of the blue shark. Didn't really realize that sharks can be eaten other than sharks' fins. This is definitely better than sharks' fins. But according to a report on the net, predators high up in the food chain in the ocean tends to contain a rather high level of mercury so I shall refrain from it after finishing my fridge supply.

Yummy.

No comments: